Albert Hammond Sr. on why The Strokes didn’t tour, Strokes VI

It’s clear, at this point in time, that The Strokes won’t tour in support of their fifth and final record on RCA. Albert Hammond Sr. shined a little light on why that is with his recent comments — his reasons confirm guesses made by educated fans — and he added that The Strokes are likely to tour behind their next album, which he believes will be released on Julian’s record label.

Translation via TheStrokesFandom

Papa Albert’s translated explanation on the lack of a Strokes tour: ” I think what happened is that they were tired of the record label (RCA) and had to deliver one more album and decided to submit it and just not go on tour. And now they will make a new album through Julian’s new record label, the same one that will debut Albert Jr.’s EP.” Hammond confided.

Papa Hammond also flatout rejected theories of the possible band break-up. “No, not at all! On the contrary, now I imagine that within this year and the next record, they might tour. And besides, once they see me, a old man touring, they have to say,’we have to go tour!!” said Hammond laughing.

via

51 ITAO August 10, 2013 at 7:40 am

@Anthony
Sorry dude, but you’re really lagging behind on this one. The thread you’re commenting on explains the media blackout, and Har Mar Superstar was in fact, very hesitant. Only 5% of the interview was about the band. He knew that those questions were off topic (which I praise him for asking by the way). Though I do agree with the interviews in Angles, what made the fans more scrutinizing was the press. If you read that depressing Q article, you would understand.

I have hopes though, that all this tension is behind them. I’d like to imagine how much better Angles , and the tour would have been if they were all buddies. If I’m correct, the next album will be awesome, and the tour will be even better.

52 Anthony C August 10, 2013 at 9:24 am

The Q magazine interview was nuts. I agree buddy. Not a hater. Love the band, but just air out the shit… Make nice and move on. I think the solo efforts (including Julian’s) proved that no one member is bigger than the strokes. Together they are much more powerful than separate. Even though I love all the solo work as well.

53 the modern age August 10, 2013 at 9:48 am

@Anthony, I think you’re right. The RCA thing might be the biggest reason behind it, but I really think what you explained was a part of it too. But I also think that by now that drama is water under the bridge. I really believe things are resolved and everything will be better the next time around. It’ll be different but it’s a different time. They’re good – I’m not concerned :)

54 Gibson August 10, 2013 at 11:41 am

IF the The Strokes were to sign with cult, would they be playing big festival, Amphitheaters, and arenas. Or would they be back to playing in small clubs?

55 the modern age August 10, 2013 at 2:26 pm

@Gibson, I didn’t think about that. I remember ppl on here saying that the cost of renting equipment, venues, event staff etc was picked up by the label. With Cult being so small I wonder how they’ll manage that. Maybe they’ll play regular venues again- idk, but that would be amazing!

56 Ted August 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

« It’s gonna be legen… wait for it… dary ! Legendary ! »

57 ITAO August 10, 2013 at 5:47 pm

I’d rather have them play at small venues again and TV appearances rather than big music festivals ( except for Coachella and Bonaroo ). Though there will be more people in music festivals, those people will indirectly get The Strokes, and other bands. On the other hand, if they played their own shows again, the people who will come would be people exclusively there for The Strokes.

58 Annie 1251 August 10, 2013 at 6:33 pm

@ITAO, MA & Gibson
I would LOVE for TS to play small venues and do some TV shows! That’s exactly what I have been hoping for!

59 TheTourist August 10, 2013 at 11:48 pm

@Ted
SUIT UP!

60 TheTourist August 10, 2013 at 11:54 pm

and it works so well because your name is Ted… :) Day. Made.

61 Gibson August 11, 2013 at 2:24 am

Yeah, but I’m pretty sure the strokes have a pretty big fan base. Imagine trying to get a ticket to small venues. I think a lot of fans will be left out.

62 Annie 1251 August 11, 2013 at 5:05 am

@Gibson
Unfortunately, you are right! :( I wasn’t thinking of that! I was only thinking of how great it would be to see just them – and not have to go to some all day festival.
and I don’t think they will do a crazy-long type of tour. I can’t imagine them touring like they did years ago – where they toured constantly. And that tough touring schedule just wore them down, causing all kinds of stress.
This band sure doesn’t need THAT right now.

Maybe they will do a mix of larger shows and smaller ones. And I definitely am hoping for TV spots!
And a couple of videos with Warren! And wouldn’t it be cool if Colin could put out some great new group photos?

Maybe they should just stay away from interviews and stick to the videos and photo shoots.

Sorry, I know I am off and running with this – but I am very hopeful and very excited to have The Strokes come back again! I miss them!

63 the modern age August 11, 2013 at 6:26 am

@Ted and Tourist, LOL I didn’t even think of the name thing!! I’m so mad there’s going to be another season. I WANTED TO SEE THE MOTHER.

@Gibson, you’re right. I remember when it wasn’t so hard to get a ticket to a smaller venue :( I still have my 2006 ticket stub and my husband has his from 2004 and 2006. They’ve made themselves so scarce the last several years that people are going to mob them. I’d camp out overnight in the rain, snow and hail for a ticket. Not even kidding about that.

64 the modern age August 11, 2013 at 6:27 am

I MISS THEM SO MUCH :(

65 gibson August 11, 2013 at 7:32 am

Yeah i can’t imagine myself not managing to get tickets to one of my favorite bands. That would suck! I just hope the band goes to a label who can get them the kind of marketing The Strokes need.

66 outofthebluegalway August 11, 2013 at 10:17 pm

I guess the lesson here is that if we need to know whats going on with the strokes we need to ask alberts Dad. How have we missed this trick

67 Bobby August 11, 2013 at 11:18 pm

I believe Julian wrote pretty much all the music on the early albums. I’m sure the other guys had input but the actual songs were written by Julian, not sure why there would be doubt about it, especially after listening to the later stuff (with everyone writing) which is all over the place. Listen to I’ll Try Anything Once, it’s all JC, the guy is super talented. Maybe that’s where some resentment in the band came from and why on the later stuff the other guys are writing, co-writing songs, personally I’d like to see it go back to JC just writing the songs but I don’t see that happening.

68 Ted August 12, 2013 at 2:08 am

@TheTourist and Modern Age

everybody wants to see the mother, I’m fed up that they pushing back again and again… !
And yes for the name and the fact I like Cleveland, but that’s all ! ahah

69 heather August 12, 2013 at 8:32 am

I think “Out Of The Blue” is one of the most perfect songs ever written by Julian and it could have easily been a Strokes song. Julian is such a great songwriter.

70 coconuts August 12, 2013 at 9:20 am

Apparently it’s “Suggestion Day” at Saturday Night Live (for season 39).
I suggest we all tweet @nbcsnl THE STROKES with hashtag #SNLMusic :)
You can also suggest hosts with hashtag #SNLHost…

71 gibson August 12, 2013 at 12:17 pm

What were your opinions when you first heard one way trigger?

72 the modern age August 12, 2013 at 1:26 pm

@gibson, My jaw dropped. It took a little while before I realized it was Julian singing and then I listened to it on repeat for most of the afternoon. I loved it right away and I still listen to it a lot. How about you?
@heather, I agree :)

73 coconuts August 12, 2013 at 2:08 pm

On the very first listen it was a bit weird, but in a good way.
Made me more excited than ever to hear the rest of CM.
Julian’s vocal range is amazing, so it was great hearing him doing more falsetto stuff.
Also, friends that are not mega Strokes fans liked it right away too.
Can’t wait to hear what songs they’ll do live from CM when they tour again!

74 gibson August 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I went in expecting something like machu picchu for some reason. At first i thought The Strokes were trolling us and promoting some other band, because i did not recognized Julian from the falsetto. But once he got to the part “You asked me to stay” i recognized his voice. The song took a while to get to me tho. Now it is one of my faves

75 gibson August 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Was it because it didn’t sound anything like TS previous work that they released it as a free download?

76 the modern age August 12, 2013 at 8:46 pm

I think they wanted people to give it a chance even though it was so different, or maybe they did it just to gain interest. I was wondering about them promoting someone else too, mostly b/c I wasn’t expecting a song, and especially one like that. I was looking at my twitter when Albert tweeted about it and followed the link in kind of a shock mode.

I love that they release stuff for free, make downloads available and how Phrazes was only $4.99.

77 Gibson August 12, 2013 at 11:59 pm

I’m just curious to see how the next TS album will sound like . What kind of styles will they incorporate, maybe a piano ballad? Or a band member sings and Julian plays their instrument live. Or another 50/50 (please). A lot of possibilities.

78 TheTourist August 13, 2013 at 12:04 am

@Ted
but… is it all over when we meet the mother?…

Honestly, I’m so behind. Earlier this year I spent wayyyyyy too much time watching every season on Netflix with my sister… We bonded. I think the end of HIMYM would kill that bond…

ANYWAY! @Gibson
I was like “wuuut? Is this really the Stro- OMGOMGOMG YAAAAAAAAAAAA!” *clicks repeat for an unhealthy amount of time* I LOVED IT. Still do!

79 LillySu August 13, 2013 at 12:35 am

@Gibson
I was confused about who’s singing until “You asked me to stay” and then I was in heaven. Liked it from the first listen and then simply couldn’t stop listening. I remember having that big happy smile all over my face for hours. I also remember walking to work and putting it on repeat on my phone every day for weeks. My walk to work is about 40 minutes. So, after all that extended listening, it’s still one of my favorites and I’m still happy every time I hear it.

80 Annie 1251 August 13, 2013 at 4:04 am

@Bobby (sorry this is so long!)
You were right that Julian wrote all the music for the earlier albums. It is mentioned in SO many interviews – like this FIOE interview:
“While the band spread the word and established themselves on the club circuit, Julian spent hours writing songs—words and music, guitar solos and bridges, everything meticulously worked out—and still does.”

Julian himself finally started speaking up during Phrazes about his Strokes role (tired of people thinking he was “just the singer”) and I just heard a radio interview where he said for the earlier albums he brought in completed songs and would “show” the guys their parts. He said he wrote the bass parts, the drum parts, the guitar parts and solos.

From all my Strokes “research” (lol) I have found that the other guys did start suggesting stuff during RoF (like Nick’s awesome guitar sound in my beloved 12:51).
But it wasn’t until FIOE that the other Strokes really wanted to start contributing.
That’s why VoD was originally named “Frankenstein” because they said it was a song that everyone kept “adding to” until it became this huge “monster”. and we do have those three great co-written songs.
But even then it was Julian that just kept bringing the songs in (and the guitar solos). And then everyone would sometimes argue/sometimes agree on how and if the song should be changed. Some things he wouldn’t budge on, some he did.
From the same FIOE article -
Julian:
“I used to wait until everything was done and walk in with kind of a finished product,” he says. “I used to do more on my own, and now I’d bring the songs in less finished and let them brew a little bit. Let them simmer and let the other guys think about them.”

*And I think Nick really best described Julian’s role in TS:

“Julian eats, breathes, sleeps, and shits music,” Valensi says. “We’ll show up at the studio at noon, and he’ll be there in the studio till four in the morning. He doesn’t stop. Long after everyone else has gone home, he’s still like remixing stuff, trying out different things. He’s like an android. I get to the point where I can’t listen to music anymore and I have to stop, but Julian doesn’t. His ear is so sharp. He’s the one with the ear for detail in this band. Creatively, he is a force to be reckoned with. He’s difficult to work with, and a lot of times he has difficulty communicating, but he’s so creative.”

*Julian worked really hard and I am just giving credit where it is due!

81 WHATTHEFUCKWHASTHAT August 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

@Annie1251
Superb post! :)

@Errbody
I real happy that we are still engaging in discussion about strokes things :)

82 squirrel August 13, 2013 at 11:39 am

@Annie1251 – Great post. And in my opinion, doubting something like that is pretty much entering ‘tin foil hat’ territory, to be completely honest.

83 Gibson August 13, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Did anybody listen to Nickel Eye”s The Time of the Assassins?

84 the modern age August 13, 2013 at 1:55 pm

@Annie, WTFWT and squirrel, Me too :) Yeah, I don’t get why people don’t believe that. This is such a hipster thing to say, but he’s so under-rated.

@Gibson, I have it. I liked Another Sunday Afternoon a LOT. How about you?

85 Gibson August 13, 2013 at 3:24 pm

@The modern age -I like Fountain Ave a LOT, it’s so sweet (lol).

@Annie1251-And it really reflects Julian’s hard work and dedication in the studio on the records.

86 heather August 14, 2013 at 10:21 am

I totally agree Annie. Great post. Julians’s own bandmates have co-signed on the role he has played in the band as a songwriter many times in interviews. So I’m not sure why some are still so skeptical. Yes, it is possible for a person to be that ridiculously talented. And I agree with the modern age as well in regards to Julian being way underrated.

87 the modern age August 15, 2013 at 6:56 am

I just want to say that I’m so happy to see Strokes/Julian love on this site again. Thanks everyone for these nice conversations recently, I’m really enjoying them :) Even though the last few years have been shitty for fans (and let’s be honest, for them too), after everything these guys have done since freakin 1998, they deserve our support. And I’m not sorry for saying that.

88 the modern age August 15, 2013 at 7:01 am

I’m going to repeat what Katy said on the other post- “The Strokes are not a product, they’re people.” I wish that people who want to say that they’re assholes, don’t care about fans, are greedy and only in it for the $, or whatever- would think about that. These guys have taken a lot of unnecessary shit over the years, and let’s be honest, especially Julian. They’re people.

89 Bobby August 16, 2013 at 1:57 am

Great post Annie. I’m still pretty amazed that one person (in his early 20′s) wrote Is This It. Bass, guitar, solos, drums, vocals, f’ing crazy. I’d agree that Julian is definitely underrated but I think history will be kind to him.

90 the modern age August 16, 2013 at 11:34 am

@Bobby, “Julian is definitely underrated but I think history will be kind to him” :D

91 Aze of the world September 6, 2013 at 11:15 am

There are very few singers that can afford to sing like in “one way trigger ” like that nowadays… Julian is soooo talented he can do it no problem….