Albert Hammond Jr. recalls the night The Strokes debuted ‘Last Nite’ and ‘The Modern Age’

Rob Sacher, a club promoter who booked The Strokes at Luna Lounge during the band’s early days, has a book coming out on March 1, 2012, called Wake Me When It’s Over.

In the book, Sacher recalls first booking The Strokes at Luna Lounge. Later in the excerpt, Albert Hammond Jr. recounts why The Strokes being booked at Luna Lounge was such a big deal for the band.

“I don’t remember if we had been in Luna before but it was definitely one of the clubs that was on the ladder up. There was an excitement in us when we arrived for our first show. We were gonna play two new songs, “Modern Age” and “Last Nite”.

The room was so beautifully lit. The bar was dark and the live room was darker, with a black light vibe radiating. Looking back, it was probably a very small room but at the time, Luna looked like a masterpiece, a square in the middle of the room, orange walls, and a thing that was starting to happen, fans!

I remember feeling great, another notch on the belt. We hung out all night at the bar. I think we met Kerri Black after that show. I remember we had asked you to be on a weekend and I think you hesitated and put us on a Thursday. But, when you saw we brought people after that, it got easier.

That night was the beginning of asking for things we wanted that maybe we hadn’t earned yet, but getting it, I think because of our music. I don’t think we looked at the final goal at that time. We just always had baby steps and mini goals that kept arriving faster and faster ’till you no longer have control over them. Actually, looking back, you realize you don’t have control over any of it. All you can control is the playing, the vibe and the music, and in those days, we, all five, in our own way brought everything we had to The Strokes.”

If you’d like to read more and order the book, go here.

1 darkseirenofrn February 7, 2012 at 11:30 pm

kinda sad that albert made it past tense the good old days where they put all they have into the strokes.

2 the modern age February 8, 2012 at 7:09 am

Cool excerpt. It’s so funny that Last Nite and The Modern Age premiered on a Thursday night :) I wish I could have been there for that!

3 oh my god February 8, 2012 at 8:10 am

I am SO tired of everyone reading into every little thing they say in every single interview, and turing it into this negative vibe. People in the real world change and do new things. Stop whining.

It was nice to read that, and thanks Eric for posting it.

4 Get Real February 8, 2012 at 11:04 am

No one is whining. And it’s hard not to read into comments made by these guys since they’re often negative. When you have band mates talking about each other behind each others backs, how do you not see the negativity in it? We’re getting the negative vibe straight from the source. I fully expect their next album to be their last.

5 oh my god February 8, 2012 at 11:11 am

whatever

6 oh my god February 8, 2012 at 11:17 am

All I’m saying is that everything in life has positives and negatives, and there’s a lot of focus on the negative on this site and it’s annoying. That’s all.

7 EPIC February 8, 2012 at 1:49 pm

@”oh my god”

Thank you for pointing that out. That’s what I immediately thought when reading the first comment.

Who gives a fuck whether it was written in past tense? It means nothing. He’s just reminiscing about the past. After Angles, I think there is a bright future with the next album. Don’t worry about the neg/pos just enjoy the ride

8 GRACE February 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

@” oh my god”
@” EPIC”

I totally agree!!! Everybody is so negative about everything. Has anybody seen how happy they looked at there concerts?? Wait, I just used that in past tense. . . . . . big deal!! It does’t mean crap. Thanks for the post Eric.

9 the modern age February 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm

@oh my god, @EPIC, @GRACE

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 tttttt February 9, 2012 at 6:32 am

Nick Valensi has a twitter and he’s following everyone except Julian.

11 tttttt February 9, 2012 at 6:34 am

Also, will everyone stop adding negativity where it isn’t. Albert said nothing negative here, people are just grasping at straws, c’mon!

12 ed February 9, 2012 at 11:21 am

Next album? I hate to break it to you but there will be no next album. The signs are so overwhelmingly clear that the piss-poor “Angles” will be their last. Face it, they hate each other’s guts, it’s over.

13 Julie February 9, 2012 at 11:45 am

I think they have a 5 album contract? I’m looking forward to Julian’s next solo gig.

14 ed February 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

@Julie Contracts are breached all the time. I don’t see it as a barrier to their break up. Just face it: they are not the band they once were.

15 Rick February 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

If they do decide to make another record it’s either to make great music or to cash in on their past success. I’m hoping it’s not for the latter.

16 kingsley February 9, 2012 at 3:04 pm

It is VERY CLEAR that at least since 2005 and the FIOE era, Nick has something against Julian. Those 2 never got along you can clearly tell.

17 LOL February 9, 2012 at 4:00 pm

@kingsley, that’s because, as previously stated, nick is a DOUCHEBAG

18 pbandj February 9, 2012 at 5:10 pm

@tttttt What’s this about Nick having a twitter? I’m pretty sure he doesn’t have one.

19 tttttt February 9, 2012 at 5:22 pm

as you can see he hasn’t tweeted anything yet
i think his wife follows him, so it might be legit

20 alx. February 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Whatever, all I want is a little tiny video and tiny little 3rd single off from Angles…I don’t care if it’s only 10 tracks in it, c’mon man one damn music video, this guys got laaaazy
They have like 3 more songs that could be singles, at least Rough Trade could show some intrest in it!

21 pbandj February 9, 2012 at 7:25 pm

@tttttt Interesting…yes, I’ll have to wait and see if he tweets anything. Thanks for the link.

22 wolfman February 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

what was the help wanted link about?

23 Carolyn February 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Happy Under Cover of Darkness anniversary!!

24 Eric Van Dril February 10, 2012 at 6:13 am

@wolfman — It was a guy in Austin looking for a Julian Casablancas lookalike so that he could set up his girlfriend, who said she would date/hook up with Julian Casablancas. After he found her cheating, he’d dump her.

25 BartTheMan February 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Daniel Radcliffe describes Strokes music is “guitar with intelligence”…. and I agree. A wizard with good taste in music^^ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPrw769Jg54&feature=g-logo&context=G2101ee7FOAAAAAAACAA

26 wilson February 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm
27 EPIC February 19, 2012 at 4:03 pm

@ed

28 EPIC February 19, 2012 at 4:05 pm

@ed

Mostly positive reviews asides, Angles was a solid album. If any other band came out with Angles it would have been a hit, but since critics expect another Room on Fire or Is This It, they didn’t live up to it. Other than that, the album only had one bad song, so I’m not sure what you’re smoking?

29 wolfman February 23, 2012 at 3:02 am

OMG I JUST REALIZED THIS. do u think kristen wiig will take fab to the oscars?

30 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Hello admin beneficial publish considerably thanks adored this blog truly a lot

31 cheapest accredited online college July 27, 2012 at 12:03 am

Hello! I could have sworn I

32 this one July 27, 2012 at 9:27 am

Greetings! This really is my very first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and let you know I genuinely enjoy reading by means of your weblog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with exactly the same topics? Thank you so significantly! 202918

33 Wanetta Hosie August 3, 2012 at 7:22 am

i was just browsing along and came upon your internet site. just wantd to say wonderful job and this post genuinely helped me. 754037

34 more August 5, 2012 at 9:43 am

Fantastic paintings! This is the kind of info that ought to be shared around the web. Disgrace on Google for now not positioning this publish upper! Come on over and talk over with my website . Thanks =) 899298

35 nuestro sitio web August 12, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I came across this great from you out of sheer luck and never believe lucky enough to say also credit you for any job nicely done. 814998

36 Haz clic para fuente September 5, 2012 at 6:03 pm

This will likely be a fantastic site, may well you be interested in performing an interview about how you developed it? If so e-mail me! 266877

37 Gretchen Hendrix September 9, 2012 at 5:44 am

Good

38 http://www.digitalphotoandcamera.com/ September 11, 2012 at 6:32 am

No much more s . All posts of this qaulity from now on 281887

39 click here September 14, 2012 at 8:29 am

very good day, your internet internet site is low cost. I do a lot of thanks for succeed 142150