Albert Hammond Jr. on the future of The Strokes

The Strokes Perform At The Natural History MuseumIn an interview with BBC6 Music, Albert was asked if The Strokes are working on new songs. His response:

“No. I don’t even know if we’re going to play any more shows. … I don’t know if London might be our last show, you know what I mean? People think I’m lying but I’m just tired of trying to make some positive spin, but I’ve got no idea. So I take each one like it’s my last and I hold and I cherish it.”

The Strokes are scheduled to play Landmark Music Festival and Austin City Limits following their Hyde Park gig. The state of the band, given the three side projects and Albert’s comments, doesn’t seem very strong.

With that said, the way I read the comments is that he tries to treat every show as if it’s his last one, which is a cliche in sports and I’d imagine a healthy way to approach performing live. I’m hoping that Albert’s just sick of answering the same question. After all, he’s on record as saying he’d like to tour as much as possible, so he’s clearly not the reason The Strokes haven’t toured more often.

1 Tannk June 18, 2015 at 8:15 pm

@yikes

What was wrong with the crowd at Primavera? I was there and everyone was going crazy and had a great time. They gave the strokes so much love and it seemed like everyone in the crowd new every word.

The only problem with Primavera was Julians lack of talking in between songs. I know he usually doesn’t talk much, I’ve seen them a million times and this was unusual that he only spoke once briefly about the Barca game and “this next song is called UCOD”..

2 SteveSpoon June 18, 2015 at 8:26 pm

@ Tannk

He did joke that no one knew what he was saying haha. And before Juicebox he said “Juicebox… the juice!”

3 Ted June 18, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Did they finally played Tap Out ?

4 Nia June 18, 2015 at 11:15 pm

The vibe at Hyde Park was awesome from what I’ve heard! They seemed very happy and energetic. Julian was bantering and joking in between almost every song. I heard they all hugged after they walked off stage awww <33

5 Wolfsie June 18, 2015 at 11:24 pm

Hyde Park was amazing! Great vibe and the crowd was wild. They finished with TIOLI – nothing more to be said!

6 Ted June 18, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Of course they hugged because it was their last gig ! I’ m joking

7 Nia June 18, 2015 at 11:47 pm

lol I’m just glad they all didn’t bail on Fab like at Primavera Sound

8 SAS June 19, 2015 at 2:59 am

haven’t got time to do a long post now but last night was soooo good – Julian chatted between songs and joked with crowd – set list fab – huge crowd and every one just about sang along to every word of every song and danced/pogoed like maniacs. Got a great place bang in the middle on the barrier and it was the best night I’d had in ages – awesome night!

9 Annie 1251 June 19, 2015 at 5:14 am

So I am thinking the guys must have had a talk -which is a good thing 🙂
From everything I ‘ve seen from yesterday’s show the vibe and sound was real good. Lou from She’s fixing said JC’s vocals were on pointe.

I talked to alot of people that were there-said the crowd near the front esp was insane-worse even then GB last year/people being taken out constantly over everyone’s heads.
Julian asked if everyone was OK out there.

NME was on it right away – of course, esp since ALex Turner was there. Their heads must have exploded. lol
Set List here:

@Ahora & @Lettuce face
Thanks to you both. Appreciate you, your posts and your sanity.

@Dillon
Glad you appreciate the extra stuff I post here. I would post more things but didn’t want to be called obnoxious.
also yes, Julian sure can be “a moody fuck” haha! but that was the point of my long post-as soon as things get shaky with TS- so many people just automatically blame him soley. If you look back to old threads here (years back) a huge chunk of the fandom was blown away when that Spin article came out and Julian finally opened his mouth and started sticking up for himself. I remember people were shocked.
It had never occured to alot of fans that the negativity in the band was coming from anyone else.
and sure- because he is the frontman – the world can see it all-whatever is going on with him. But no one knows what was just said before they walk out on the stage. People just say “He needs to shrug it off- be professional, yada, yada, yada…”
But he’s an artist, not an accountant.
which brings me to…

@Melodica 03
agree with you 100% – do people srsly think rock stars are supposed to dress conservatively after a certain age? should Julian wear a nice pair of kakis and a polo shirt ffs?
There is so much blandness out there in the world- I swear I mean it. I work in the medical field and I hate the restrictions there- so outdated.
If rock stars/musicians/artists can’t be “colorful”, expressive and frankly just FUN- then who can?
Come ON people!

10 Annie 1251 June 19, 2015 at 5:26 am

@Jalal
yeah that new JCVZ website really is great! I’m still looking stuff over – there’s alot to check out and read.
I love all the behind the scenes pics too-esp of that cool little studio.
The Voidz seemed to have a blast going everywhere together this last leg of the tour-
Jeff called themselves “Incongruous sightseers” LOL.

11 Annie 1251 June 19, 2015 at 5:32 am
12 john r June 19, 2015 at 8:56 am

18 songs for a huge show like this is a bit of a disappointment, no? They played 20 at Shaky knees and that was festival spot. This is their own show. They should be playing 25 songs minimum.

13 Jalal June 19, 2015 at 10:13 am

Everything is a disappointment with the Strokes, man. That is the #1 rule of 2015 Strokes fandom.

14 mateja June 19, 2015 at 10:33 am

still best the Strokes’ website ever, including the solo ones https://web.archive.org/web/20090731191400/http://www.thestrokes.com/

I remember I first got into TS while that was the official website and it was a very important complement indeed, like, great songs, cool looking guys and a very well designed and functional website. Aesthetics were totally on point during those times.

15 SteveSpoon June 19, 2015 at 10:41 am

Lots of very positive reviews going around! For all the complaints around here, sounds like they continue to impress. 🙂

16 mateja June 19, 2015 at 10:46 am

@Me (?) #264

All their tour dates are there and, wow, they tour schedule for 2006 was wild, no wonder how they ended up burnt out after that.

17 Miguel June 19, 2015 at 2:01 pm

@mateja really cool website really interactive a lots of cool stuff
Julian’s website is really cool too

18 Protogyl June 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I can see albert has abandoned his hiwatt amp and started using his old trusty fender hotrod deville 212 again

19 SulkSogan June 20, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Are the voidz working on new material??? Not a lot of records from cult records coming out this year

20 Sandra December 21, 2015 at 12:16 am

I’m a year and half younger than you but in the same boat. Even thgouh my career looked to zoom from late teens to early 20s, where I worked on a bunch of interesting ideas, worked at great companies and get awarded for it, things have started to slow down. I have worked on a lot of interesting ideas and running my startup, but I have come to slowly accept the reality that I might not be able to make a big idea before 30. But, my philosophy is that if you keep doing good work, someday before you realize that we are on to something great. And this can happen so suddenly. Think of the Angry bird or Twitter’s creators. Or think of legends like Gandhi or Churchill. They worked hard on so many ideas for years or decades before success & fame hit unexpectedly. And success can be so sudden that in 2 years go can zoom to the top if you had the right stuff. So, if my right opening comes at even 35, I can still achieve great success before 40. Assuming I live to 70, I have a lot of time to then expand and give value. Steve Jobs started almost from ground zero in his 2nd comeback and built a powerful empire. So, in summary it is not when you get the break. It is about how much can you build on that. And that break can come anytime if we constantly build good stuff. Also, we should keep preparing ourselves on how to reconize the break, how to utilize to full extend and how not to take it to the head. If we do this that is success.