Albert Hammond Jr.: I’m working on a new EP, The Strokes aren’t working on any songs

A bunch of Strokes fans bombarded Albert Hammond Jr. with questions on Twitter today, and many were about the future of The Strokes. It got uncomfortable quickly.

Early on, before things got a little hostile, Albert said he’s making a new EP and he hopes to tour until the fall, if not longer. That, along with the answers that followed and the fact Julian is likely to tour this spring and summer, makes it seem like 2014 will be very quiet for The Strokes.

Here are some of the Tweets…

Isn’t social media fun?

101 JD December 14, 2013 at 2:13 pm

So what do we know for sure so far?

One Way Trigger – Jules & Albert
All the Time – Everybody
80′s Comedown Machine – Everybody
Welcome to Japan – Nick & Jules
Chances – ..Everybody?

Julian certainly had to have had at at least a part in writing each track. As for the others..?

102 Annie 1251 December 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm

@JD
I agree that it is fun to guess who wrote what, and I agree with you and am betting that Julian had some writing in each track. I am positive he wouldn’t have been able to hold back so much again.
Not with that meticulous A type personality. lol.

We definitely know that Julian & Albert wrote OWT-

Albert Hammond, Jr. ‏@alberthammondjr 25 Jan
“@Maurisfaction: @alberthammondjr Did you write “One Way Trigger”?”

Yep. Me and Jules.

*I keep thinking that Julian had a lot to do with Tap Out, W2J & HE because of something he said while he was touring Phrazes. He said (about Angles) he wanted to get back to it and “Funk it up a little”. But that didn’t happen for Angles.
And those 3 songs on CM just sound SO funky imo. I really love all three of them. And the “busy-ness” (of the music) esp on W2J and HE just sounds like Julian was involved.
But Albert said W2J was a song Nick brought (he said there were two songs and they combined them and then threw away the other one -) And of course we don’t know who wrote the one they combined it with. But we def know Nick was involved in that one. Who knows if it was the melody, or that cool guitar riff or what.
That song is so good. js.

and here’s a Tweet from Albert
@alberthammondjr: @MelasMelas2 Wrote 1 way trigger/part of welcome to Japan/part of chances/part of 80s comedown machine/part of CIFCIK & a small part of PIC

**So maybe W2J was Julian, Nick & Albert?
Remember that little clip in the ATT video where Julian, Nick and Albert are all playing guitars together? Working out a song? Maybe it was W2J. :)

Chances to me sounds like a Julian Ballad -altho not as “full blown” as say Glass. and Albert said he contributed some towards that one.

I always thought Fab was involved in CIF/CIK. Not sure why.

103 Annie 1251 December 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm

@Squirrel
I am real curious about who wrote 50/50 and I liked what you said in your post-you’re right! Julian did talk about the screaming in TIoLI. lol “screaming”. :)

104 Lil December 14, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Annie what exactly does ‘funky’ mean in your own words

105 Mike B December 14, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Just to end my rant on the lack of touring and promotion
I think the best answer about why The Strokes didn’t do anything for CM is answered in the interview Julian did for Angles on Zane Lowe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54umrZmk6b8 (around 3:45)
Julian (it seems to me at least) cares much more about creating music than performing live. Its sadly what you have to deal with as a fan of The Strokes

106 ten December 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

also, julian’s dad died in july. maybe he wasn’t up for performing.

107 ITAO December 14, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Nick was definitely part in the the writing of PIC. That small solo in the end was all his.

108 JD December 15, 2013 at 6:15 am

@Annie
Great post! Thanks for helping clear some of that up.

Did someone say the whole band was involved in 80′s Comedown Machine and Chances..? I couldn’t find a lot of tweets of Albert’s talking of these things, not even that one you mentioned.

So here’s another question, are there any tracks Julian wrote solo on this album? It doesn’t appear so, interestingly enough. Some of these at least you can see far more of where he contributed.

The search continues…more again

109 yeah December 15, 2013 at 6:54 am

@jd the tweets i was talking about happened a long time ago, around when the album came out, i randomly remebr a couple but I’m pretty sure he said all 5 members did 80s comedown

110 JD December 15, 2013 at 7:21 am

@Yeah
I’ve tried looking back through old tweets, but I can only get them to load so far. I’ll keep trying.

Okay, so, we don’t know who wrote Tap Out, 50/50, Slow Animals, or Happy Ending, and we also don’t know much of Fab’s or Nikolai’s contributions. Hmm..

111 blah December 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Anyone know if this is recent?

112 God December 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm

It’s so funny to see him blow up on his fans like that!

113 squirrel December 16, 2013 at 10:39 am

So the authorship credits for most songs from CM are as follows:
- Fabrizio Moretti, 1980- ; Citizenship: Italy. Authorship: music.
- Julian Casablancas, 1978- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music, lyrics.
- Nicholas Valensi, 1981- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music.
- Albert Hammond, Jr., 1980- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music.
-Nikolai Fraiture, 1978- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music.

**(side note: Fab Moretti, citizenship: Italy? someone care to explain? I know he’s of Brazilian & Italian descent, but is he not a US citizen?)**

Basically, everyone is credited when it comes to music authorship & Julian is the sole lyrics author. In some songs, however, Julian shares lyrics authorship with other members.
Example: One Way Trigger
-Fabrizio Moretti, 1980- ; Citizenship: Italy. Authorship: music.
*-Julian Casablancas, 1978- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music, lyrics.*
-Nicholas Valensi, 1981- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music.
*-Albert Hammond, Jr., 1980- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music, lyrics.*
-Nikolai Fraiture, 1978- ; Citizenship: United States. Authorship: music.

Since we know – because Albert told us on Twitter – than he wrote OWT with Julian, maybe these lyrics authorship credits reflect the main songwriter(s) of each song?

The other songs with shared lyrics authorship:
- Chances: Julian, Fab
- Slow Animals: Julian, Nick
- All The Time: Julian, Nikolai
- Call It Fate, Call It Karma: Julian, Nick, Albert

Another interesting detail about Comedown Machine:
*Pre-existing Material: Sound recording on track 2 “All The Time”.*
So everything else is new material?

114 yeah December 16, 2013 at 10:50 am

@squirell where’d you get this info?

and idk about fab maybe it’s some dual citizenship type thing, i think both his parents are italian and moved to brazil for a bit or something…depends on what they were referencing when seeing what citizenship he was, or maybe just a mistake…..im sure he’s an american citizen by now

and i don’t think we’ll ever find out who wrote what exactly on CM, like OWT seems like it’s albert’s song but everyone got writing credits like on all the other songs, they could’ve contributed very minor things. because on angles it looked like people wrote their own songs and just brought them in and they didn’t want to give that perception…..or maybe they all did work together , maybe they all get along perfectly now, including nick and julian…who knows? i wish they did at least one full band interview

115 wolfman December 16, 2013 at 11:44 am

sure it’s annoying that fans keep asking him about the strokes, but it’s also annoying how little communication there is between the strokes and their fans (minus albert pretty much).

116 squirrel December 16, 2013 at 12:29 pm

@yeah

From the Public Catalog of the U.S. Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov/).

Found a bunch of pretty cool stuff while looking for CM songwriting credits, wrote a post about it here – http://heavily-spaced.tumblr.com/post/70211047294/registered-but-unreleased-julian-casablancas-the

117 Merry Christmas brah December 16, 2013 at 12:33 pm

They only have themselves to blame. They didn’t do any promoting for their last album, didn’t tour it at all, didn’t even do the late night circuit. Didn’t even specifically talk about the album. In fact, everything we have heard from them has been vague, and aloof. No, I don’t really care about Albert’s solo work, or Julian’s, and I’m sure that’s true of a lot of Strokes fans. We’re fans of the band, not necessarily the guys on their own. If Albert came out with a specific statement, where he actually talked about the album, or why they weren’t touring, it would probably shut up a lot of the band’s fans. I just think they left the fans with so little, that some of us aren’t satisfied. The idea that they thought it would be cool to just release the album without actual touring, or playing the songs live, just doesn’t make any sense to me. If that really were the case, why wouldn’t they carry this attitude towards their solo work? Isn’t playing songs live one of the greater joys to creating music? I can understand not wanting to do a large tour, but not playing the songs live even once?

This is why Albert is going to keep being harassed. Being vague, plus not touring, plus not being keen on talking about the band, makes people think something is up.

118 Sophie December 16, 2013 at 12:56 pm

@Merry Christmas brah
Your right, its is their own doing. I guarantee Julian will do press for voidz. Just like Albert did for AHJ. Comedown had contract obligation written all over it.
Also as soon as i heard Comedown my 1st reaction was “great another album full of songs the band cant play live” I will say comedown has grown on me, but i still have a hard time accepting Julians falsetto. Why couldnt he just have sang softly- instead of through a device that alters his voice which we will not call auto-tune.

119 alan December 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm

omg @squirrel your link is absolutely amazing!!!!

people check it out!!!!!!!

120 alan December 16, 2013 at 3:05 pm

@merry christmas brah

I too don’t care for Albert’s solo work. In fact I think his EP stinks. it’s not catchy at all I really don’t see what all the fuss is about… Probably because it’s “Albert from The Strokes”.

I guarantee that if that EP was from some other unknown dude, it would have blown right past the radar and nobody would have cared.

I am a fan of THE STROKES.

Not Albert and his stupid tweets and his shitty EP.

121 Lynn Wiberg December 16, 2013 at 3:06 pm

@sophie

SMH at people who don’t know the difference between pitch correction which (don’t look now) everyone uses, and Autotune, which is a very specific tool.

@just about everyone I guess.

What do you want Albert to say. He’s telling you what he’s doing. Julian is obviously telling us what he’s doing. If you don’t like the solo stuff, tough break. But it’s not like they’re trying to hide. They avoided the press to avoid the squabbles they often get into. They may have not toured for the same reason. Julian and Albert are probably touring and making new solo music because they can’t get The Strokes together, or don’t want to.

122 Lynn Wiberg December 16, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Anyway, I guess my larger point is that no one deserves to be harassed. They don’t have themselves to blame. They have anonymous internet assholes to blame. If someone says “you’re lying to us about the strokes. You know more than you’re saying. Your solo work is garbage.” I’d say “fuck off” too.

123 whatthefuckwhasthat December 16, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Yeah Alan that was covered a year ago in the comments already

124 Lynn Wiberg December 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Does everyone have their “I’m not getting what I want”‘s out of the way yet? I’m actually looking forward to some new music!

125 JD December 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm

@squirrel
Thank you for finding & sharing that! That was really interesting to look through. Some surprising credits here and there. Fab having a hand in the lyrics to Chances stood out to me, as did both Nick & Albert also having a part in Call it Fate, Call it Karma.

I looked through the Angles songs as well, and it lists Julian, Nick, and Fab as all writing the lyrics to Taken for a Fool, not just music, and You’re So Right is also the only Strokes song that Julian did not write any of the music to, too.

Thanks again to all of those involved in this hunt for finding the songwriters behind CM. This is fun and has some interesting surprises with it as well.

126 JD December 16, 2013 at 4:13 pm

Oddly enough, that lyric site that listed the songwriter credits isn’t too far off from what all we’ve gathered at this point. Its only mistake seems to be giving Nick credit on OWT.

Also, it can be safe to say Albert had a much bigger hand in this album than the last two.

127 squirrel December 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

@JD & Alan,
Glad you guys liked it. =)

Question: is ‘Soho Shuffle’ a legit Strokes song? (http://youtu.be/9E2Hmk6Enuc) I always assumed it was fake as it basically sounds just like VU and has no vocals, but a lot of people seem to think it’s legit?

128 squirrel December 17, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Vote for Comedown Machine in The Guardian’s best albums of 2013! http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/poll/2013/dec/17/best-albums-2013-vote-now?CMP=twt_gu

(sorry for all the posts you guys…)

129 SAS December 17, 2013 at 11:24 pm

@ Lynn Wiberg – hear hear! well said…
@ squirrel – been loving your posts!
Re. squirrel’s link to vote for CM on the Guardian poll – only 2 days left guys – get voting!

130 mateja December 18, 2013 at 4:52 pm

Nick doesn’t has his demos registered in there. Someone should steal them (?). I just remembered Adonia (or something like that) and there was some nice guitar work in there.

131 Matt December 18, 2013 at 9:57 pm

@mateja
If I can recall, Nick does in fact have them registered. Also, please don’t ever suggest stealing someone else’s work. That is very low, and done by assholes and scumbags alike. If you can’t tell, I find it very much offensive that you even dare to suggest it, and I do not care for it.

132 Mike B December 19, 2013 at 9:36 am

So Daft Punk’s performing songs off their new album at the Grammys, so a possible Julian Casablancas live performance is a possibility.
Also I was listening to Zane Lowe yesterday for his 100 greatest songs of 2013 and One Way Trigger came in 31. It also had an interview with Albert where he got into detail about the song at the 1 hour and 23 minute mark http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03l2t08

133 WHATTHEFUCKWHASTHAT December 19, 2013 at 9:50 am

@Mateja

Yah, Adounia/Adonia hadpreety good guitar,

I had tabbed the guitar parts for Adounia in this website and people were calling me asshole or something like that because they thought I was the author and was using the name Nick Valensi for fun. haha

but dude nah really that song prob evolutionized further on in the Angles demos. Psychedlic type of stuff which Angles sound/production was not going for..which is why I also think why that other song on the Angles recording sessions video “making of” was not put… the “going away in the dow..” or something like that ..”dont you know its the secrets that keep us apart”…

134 the modern age December 19, 2013 at 12:48 pm

@Mike B, Thanks for that link!!!!
@squirrel, Thanks for your link too. 13 hours left guys. Idk about Soho Shuffle, I remember thinking it wasn’t TS. Don’t apologize for multiple posts btw :)

135 Sophie December 20, 2013 at 1:11 pm

@Lynn Wiberg

SMH pitch correction and auto tune are the same thing. google it

more proof –strokes cover

136 alan December 21, 2013 at 6:28 am

Does anybody have Nick’s demos ??? I would love to hear Adounia again, please!!! Anyone ???