1,000 Words on The Strokes Playing the Tommy Hilfiger Party (and the Current State of the Band?)

A review and a video…

Nick’s wife Amanda attended the show last night and she said the following on Twitter…

“Um am I really going to see the strokes play a fashion party.”

“I need some ear plugs”

“Pretty dodgy RT @denisedahlin: @amandadecadenet terrible acoustics? :(”

“Trust me they would love thatRT @denisedahlin:I wish everybody there are fans of the strokes so that their performance would all be worth it”

I’m really interested in hearing what they sounded like last night. If you were, ah fuck it. Nobody who reads this site was at the Hilfiger party last night. Can we all agree to just forget about it and focus on Stubbs?

1 Taylor W September 13, 2010 at 6:44 pm

“Can we all agree to just forget about it and focus on Stubbs?”

2 Becky September 13, 2010 at 7:17 pm

OK, that clip made me sad. They all seem so alienated from each other. Compare this to the early days of Jules pecking Nick on the cheek during guitar solos…or Julian when he performs with his own band seems downright bubbly compared to this.

Anyhoo, I will be at Stubb’s. I’ve never seen the Strokes before. Completely needless to say, but I am beyond excited.

Hey, anyone know anything about Stubb’s outdoors? How big a crowd will be there?

3 Eric Van Dril September 13, 2010 at 7:23 pm

“I don’t care if the Strokes happen again or not. I’m into Albert and Julian’s solo stuff. As long as those two keep making music, together or not, that’s all I care about. For some reason, sorry, but the rest of the dudes in the band really don’t do much for me.”

Did you really just write that, Becky? That’s the most unnerving thing I’ve read in a long time.

And when you see The Strokes live, you’ll understand Nick’s importance to the band and you’ll care what he does too. Hopefully it’s like that for all five after you see them at Stubbs because it really changes your perception of the band.

4 john September 13, 2010 at 8:18 pm

i think we should just put this behind us. the sound was probably phenomenal in this place… its an opera house…..

this video is also of a song that they only play becasue they probably feel they have to. I am a huge fan of the band, but only became a fan after Hard to Explain was released and this is probably my least favorite song….which wouldn’t make it a favorite at all.

on a side note Becky, do you not like Little Joy? That is still one of my top 3 albums released in the past few years. Albert’s stuff always sounded to me like wanna be strokes records with one too many guitars; they have 3 and not many bands can pull that off (pearl jam can).

5 john September 13, 2010 at 8:19 pm

was that proper use of a semicolin?

6 Ester September 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm

@Becky – Wow, can’t believe you feel that way about the band. I love Julian’s solo stuff, but there’s something perfect about the band together…it just wouldn’t be the same music if one of them was missing…their respect for each other’s talents (as much as there may be conflicts)…their relationships…their history…they’re all so talented. I’ll be so sad if they ever stop making music together. I think they feel the weight of that as well, and that’s what keeps them going even through the troubles. They’re just amazing together.

7 Becky September 13, 2010 at 8:59 pm

OK, so like I said, I’ve never really cared enough about Fab to really listen to Little Joy, and really all I know about them is that they get name-dropped in Whip It. Oh shit, did I just publicly admit that I’ve seen Whip It? Fuck.
Anyone hear the Dinner Party Download podcast when Julian says he likes the new 90210? It’s great.
I really, really like Albert’s stuff. I like his voice. I’m a big GbV fan, and, I don’t know, his stuff makes me feel like I’m listening to Strokes and Guided by Voices at the same time. The 3 guitars are a bit much. I’ll give you that.
And I remember you saying, Eric, that Nick tore with like Pantera-style face melting at Lolla. I look forward to that. I’m fully prepared to have my mind blown and my bad attitude changed.

8 Speedy September 13, 2010 at 9:22 pm

i just read Eric’s comment and i didnt notice the “”” quotation marks… i was like… did he really just say that?? but after reading it like 20 times i finally “oh!”‘d, confusing

9 Annie September 14, 2010 at 1:30 am

I was so excited to see pictures of them all together but they just seemed so detached from each other, especially Julian. I loved his ironic salute to Hilfiger though (with that ridiculous hat). Between that and Nick’s wife’s comments, it makes of wonder why they accepted… I guess it must have been the venue (and no doubt, the money). Anyway, if pictures can say anything, it looks like there’s still serious disharmony in the band. And @Becky: I hope you’re blown away by them live. I think you’ll forget all about the side projects. I definitely think that Little Joy’s album was the best of them – I thought it had a really beautiful, subtle sound that showcased Fab’s diverse talents and music interests. Although I liked a few songs from Albert’s albums, I thought they lacked any real spark, were kind of bland and just seemed derivative of so many other mediocre bands. And the lyrics are often pretty bad. I really loved Julian’s album but I didn’t like that he generally went for the ‘big’ sounding chorus in a lot of the songs. Anyway, collectively they are definitely at their best – musically, at least. On a side note, I was surprised at the comments about the poor sound quality – it’s the Met! – I would have thought they’d sound phenomenal.

10 Ibrahim September 14, 2010 at 2:15 am

I think it’s impossible to judge if The Strokes are still a unit, if they are as Becky said “alienated from each other” or if they’re still good friends. There are thousands of lives on Youtube where we can’t notice any sign of affection between the members, they’re maybe just focused on their musical parts. Their behavior doesn’t mean anything to me, being a musician myself, I know that most of the time you’re just too busy at executing your musical part to think of giving a big hug to your partner while trying to rock your solo. We’ll only be able to judge if they have sincerely buried the hatchet when we’ll see interviews of the five of them reunited, that is to say… in March 2011?

11 Andy September 14, 2010 at 3:11 am

Little Joy was without a doubt the best of the strokes side projects/solo albums (I thought they were all good, except Nikolai who went a little too hard on the lo-fi thing) if you skipped it because you’re not that into Fab, well, that’s your loss since Binki and Rodrigo run the show on it.

12 Andy September 14, 2010 at 3:18 am

@Annie All the reviews say the strokes sounded amazing, only Amanda complained for some reason… MAYBE SHE’S TRYING TO START UP DRAMA TO BREAK THE STROKES UP AND HAVE NICK ALL TO HERSELF AND CONTINUE DRESSING HIM UP WITH HER CLOTHES AND KEEP CONVINCING HIM HE LOOKS BETTER WITH LONG HAIR!!! /Complete exaggeration mode off.

13 Annie September 14, 2010 at 3:49 am

@Andy: Hahahaha re. the clothes and hair!! Yeah, come to think of it, he hasn’t really looked too great since c. 2004. I too wish he’d cut his friggin hair and stop wearing those hideous low cut v-necks. It makes him look like a ridiculous pastiche of a rocker. I hope Amanda keeps her negativity to herself – i noticed she doesn’t seem to like NYC either so maybe she’s the one keeping Nick in LA. It hardly helps the band when at least one of them lives on the other side of the country. I’m glad to hear that about the good sound, i hadn’t got a chance to read the other reviews.

14 Ronan September 15, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Haha yeah Nick can often look pretty ridiculous. Though if you’ve seen him in the Megapuss video from 2008, I think he’s in on the joke. God, we still have another seven months to over-analyse their outfits, exchanges and glances, in these few select band appearances, to try to figure out inter-band relations… all to see if it bodes well for the next album. This wait is killing me.

15 Nicola September 15, 2010 at 4:53 pm

@Becky How could you not care for Fab???! Not only is he a great drummer (without being showy) but he’s also super charming and, from all the interviews i’ve read over the years, he seems to be crucial in creating a happy vibe among the members. And he created some really beautiful music with Little Joy. From what i can remember off-hand, although he barely sings, i think he either wrote or co-wrote all of the songs for that album. If Strokes IV proves to be more collaborative, i’m hoping Fab will play a big role. I’m kind of hoping that Nick won’t be because (and i don’t want to add to the Nick-bashing) although I think he’s an incredible player, i imagine that if he starts writing songs there’ll be a series of gratuitous guitar solos à la some of the tracks on First Impressions. Of the side projects i think the Little Joy album is definitely the most interesting as it masters a completely different sound while always seeming genuine and personal. Although i liked Julian’s album, it seemed a little too forced to me. I thought Albert’s stuff was pretty forgettable to be honest, and no comment on Nikolai’s efforts.

16 Nicola September 15, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Woah sorry, i didn’t mean for that to turn into an essay!

17 Lo September 15, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Hi guys, just wanted to know what is “stubbs” and why should we look forward to it? Is it a new secret show they’re playing?? And if it is, how come you know about it?

18 Becky September 16, 2010 at 7:48 am

@Lo: The Strokes are playing an ACL pre-show at a bar called Stubb’s on Oct. 6. And, I can’t stress this enough, I will be there! And I knew about it because I read this site. So, thanks, Eric!

And you guys are right, the Strokes suck apart and are awesome together. Except, apparently, Fabulous Fab. I guess I’ll start listening to Little Joy. I do like Fab’s positive energy. But why’s he got to be so skinny and short? Not hot.

@Ronan…c’mon, “speculation” (AKA gossip, AKA pointless bullshit) is the best! Next topic: does Julian cheat on his wife? Because if that beautiful boy only has sex with one woman for the rest of his life, there is nothing good left in this world.

Yep, it’s gonna be a long seven months.

19 Andy September 16, 2010 at 2:01 pm

@Becky: Such bias against Fab, did he ever throw his sticks at the crowd and it hit you in the face? lol. “Soo” skinny? He’s skinny, but not to the point of “soo” skinny. As far as his height goes, he’s between 5 10 and 5 11 that’s short when standing next to the other strokes who are all between 6 feet (Albert) and 6 3 (Nick), but hes definitely not short.

20 Steph September 16, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Just have to say- I love Julian’s Orca shirt. So random.

I’m not that in to Little Joy either, but I think Fab would be the best Stroke to have a conversation with. He’s hilarious!

I agree, let’s just focus on Stubb’s!!

21 Ronan September 16, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Lol @Becky… as a straight male i’m hoping my level of fanaticism will have reached its limit before i have to start thinking about Julian’s sex life…aside, that is, from wondering if that was behind the late breakfast tweet. Having said that, i’ve already started reading Amanda’s tweets about her twins and plus-sized models so give me another few weeks…!

22 Siobhan September 16, 2010 at 3:53 pm

@steph – “Orca” as in the album Bitte Orca? It’d be so cool if they toured together though i can’t imagine that ever happening.

23 Jordan September 16, 2010 at 4:32 pm

@Siobhan- “Orca” as in “killer whale”. Refer to the original post pic and Julian’s shirt.

Though Julian has stated he’s into DP, I doubt they’ll tour together but what do I know? I can’t see into March and beyond.

24 george September 16, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Just received a DM from @blagmagazine. They are going to send out an apology email soon. No word if the magazine will ever appear.

what is this post about?
what happened with the blagmagazine issue with julian?
im only asking because i ordered it but i never received it

25 Eric Van Dril September 18, 2010 at 10:09 am

@george — The blag thing was just something I received from them on my ripcordnews account. I’ve talked with them a little and they don’t specify whether anyone will actually receive the magazine or get their money back. So I really have no idea, I would just hope they eventually sound out the magazine.

@Becky and everyone else — For the record, I’m not crazy about Little Joy. It’s not because I hate Fab or disrespect the music they wrote (they have a couple songs on that record that are awesome), it’s just not what I enjoy listening to. The records Albert and Julian have made are more my style and even though Julian has a higher ceiling (11th dimension, river of brakelights), I feel Albert has proved himself too.

26 . September 19, 2010 at 2:19 pm

hey eric, just curious, when did u first get into the strokes?

27 Eric Van Dril September 19, 2010 at 2:23 pm

In the winter of 2006-2007.

28 TaTi September 22, 2010 at 8:07 pm

wow i really need to catch up! i had no idea amanda had tweeter im going to look it up and read her tweets :P haha

well idk i do think as well it is very sad to see the strokes like these i mean, idk. specially julian, he seems to have a very bad attitude towards them, i really dont know what happened between them, but it really seemed to affect julian.

umm i dont remember where i readed it, but in one of julian’s interviews, the interviewer asked julian if they (the strokes) were still closed and stuff and he answered that they still see each othersometimes and stuff but that being in a band is the best way og ruining friendships, so maybe they are getting along fine now, but they arent somehow close to be friends.

hopefully with the new record they will get back together as real friends again. and lucky you! all the ones that are going to see the strokes live, i dont think i will ever be that lucky :( but you never know lol.

and btw, sorry for my shitty english haha :P

29 kore dizileri izle July 24, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Greetings thanks for fantastic submit i used to be searching for this situation final two times. I will look for upcoming valuable posts. Have exciting admin.

30 Candace July 25, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Amazing post admin thank you. I found what i used to be trying to find here. I’ll review whole of posts within this working day

31 Ego C September 1, 2012 at 2:08 am

I extremely happy to discover this web site on bing, just what I was searching for : D too bookmarked . 880191